So a different sort of weaving has been happening here…..
A hazel hurdle is in the making!!!
We have decided to have a go to make some prettier panels to make the gaps into what was the old slurry pit and will be our fruit and vegetable garden, safe!! Hopefully child safe!!!!
James and I selected an old beam which was big and heavy enough to form the jig…..
Then whittled the ends of some larger hazel rods to make the uprights….. lots of our hazel is very overgrown so we are working with some very bobbly bits of wood, but using what we have!!
This took ages to sort…. the beam was OLD and rather solid to drill the holes into!! And some of the uprights, in order to get the straighter bits were a tad large in diameter!!
I’ve even found a use for the ash mallet I made on my forest school leader course!!! Fantastic for bashing down the hazel whips!!!
We are at the stage of weaving in the thinner whippier bits of hazel now and over half way up the panel!!
And I’m surprised how pleased I am with it!!! We both predicted this first go would be a disaster but no….. totally a usable panel!!!
So I have been knitting on Some Christmas socks and the wool is working out ok!
Then I’ve finished a project from the WIP wall of shame!!!! Yay!!!
Meet the leaf babies!!
So more about them later this week!!
Then I’ve been out in the workshop working on some wood crafts and pyrography….
Then for little Sirs Forest school group I’ve been asked to knit some elf clothes so the children can make some little elves!!
I finished proto elf last evening!! Along with a few other projects to be revealed later this week!!
So stay tuned this week for lots of shop updates and FO posts!!!
Busy times again here as always it seems but now the workshop is nigh on finished and now functional!!!!!
So I decided to crack on with a few jobs I’ve been planning for a while…..
Firstly, I made something to occupy the small human whilst we are in the work shop and to stop him porcupining all the available holes in workbenches etc with screws!!!
A work bench!!
Then I decided it would be a good idea our home had a name sign!!!
So I cleaned up a lovely chunk of hard wood, which incidentally used to be part of the old barn roof itself….
I marked out the lettering with a pencil and a stencil I printed off from the computer and cut out using a craft knife…. Then using my pyrography tool I burnt the name into the wood…. Currently I’m on the second coat of varnish of about seven!!!
So whilst I’m varnishing I’ve started another project for the boys!!! (As will be come March, bump two is a little boy!!) I am turning a dolls house Dad made and I roofed and painted…..
I used in my classroom for a few years as both a teaching resource and as a choice time activity/play resource…..
Now it starts its journey to being a barn for the boys to keep their toy tractors and farm animals in!!
Lots of craftiness, though not of my usual ilk!!!
This Friday I will be reopening the shop with the yarns and patterns!!!!
I have done a yarny stock take…..
I have revamped my patterns…..
And have decided that Cheeky is 9 months!!!!! So it MUST be reopened come hell or high water!!!
So Friday!!!!!! Friday the 20th of January!!!!!
Head over to Tyddyn Bryn on Etsy
And use the discount code 9monthsalready for 15% off until Friday 27th January
Then over the coming weeks I will be adding to the other shop sections…..
Here is a sneaky peek at one of those sections
A week sure went fast over Easter!!!
Work in the woods!! In what will be the forest school area!!!
Starting hazel hurdle fences….
Rendering the end of the house….
Concreting a hole in barn three’s floor….
Burning wood to make charcoal…
Willows arrived and planted….
Rendering drying…. Oh yes and slate look cement sills!!!!
Daffs in bloom…
The ever expanding wood pile….
Lots of insulation…..
A pile of old gator tyres!!!! The gator has new ones and will now go all sorts of new places!!!!
Mulched fruit trees….
Willow in the slurry pit…. Down the run off stream and down the pipe stream bank….
Willows and hazel babies planted out to set some roots while we decide where to plant the extras!!!!!
A filled hole…..