Planting planting and more planting

So now the Polytunnel has been skinned we have been able to get in and plant!!

So far now we have planted mangetout, beans, beetroot, carrots, spinach, leeks, rocket, spring onions and salads….

Then James has moved our two new grapevines into the corners, one red one white…

He has also moved all the baby tomato plants, chilli plants and cucumbers in….

and plans to plant the courgette babies etc out there this afternoon!

He and William have been earthing up the potatoes like fury!!

I have plans to weed the onion and shallot bed and the fruit cage this week in between trips out with William to our usual activities!!

Some of the seeds we planted the other week have started to come up so we shall soon need to plant out small broccoli and cauliflower plants etc!! James needs to build the walls for the raised beds soon!!! Well for at least one of them!!

This year we should be able to produce the majority of our fresh food!! James has even won a competition and we have a mushroom kit arriving soon!!!!

William, our toddler, has been super useful with his new wheelbarrow and has been collecting all the rocks from around the Polytunnel!! Hurrah!!

Busy weeks!!

So the past two weeks have been filled with visitors and LOTS of outside work….. not much time for crafting except in between visitors and knitting of an evening!!

We started with a few days with my sister and niece and nephew!!

Someone was very pleased with his visitors!! And we had wall building round the Polytunnel!!

Playdoh….. painting…… forest school trip!

Bird box building and painting….

Phew very busy!!

Then last week my parents came for a few days!

It turned colder…. but we have meshed the fruit cage….. planted and frost fleeced a few plants that had been delivered…. blueberries in pots in some good Ericaceous compost as our soil isn’t right for them but we need them as young sir would eat his body weight in blueberries!! Well fruit in general!!

Then we had lots more Polytunnel progress…. just a shame on the final day the wind picked up so we couldn’t get the plastic on….

We had a wood delivery too…. didn’t get as much in last year as this year has required!! It’s all a learning process and bear in mind this time last year we were only able to collect wood every other weekend!!!

Any way all this done plus toddler wrangling…. plus catering…. keeping the home fires burning…. and growing a baby….. phew

We have had a quieter weekend this weekend sans visitors!

Finishing some jobs in the fruit cage….

Using sawdust to make paths…. cable tying the mesh further and pegging it down….

Then today….

Chipping the brash piles we’ve had lying about from hedgerow sorting!! Finally seem to be making some progress in rejuvenating some of the hedgerows and hope we will be able to lay some of them in a couple of years to thicken them up and really sort them!

Rockery!

I have started to clear and plant the rockery around the septic tank!!! its filled with chunks of concrete and all sorts of spoil, but I am slowly adding slates, rearranging, planting and weeding…..

IMG_3078

IMG_3079

IMG_3080

So far I have done about a quarter….

Need more plants me thinks!

More gardening!

My Sister, Brother in Law and their small people came to camp in August.  Brother in law helped chain saw up trees and generally got to play with boys toys with James, but the small people (who jumped from the car on their arrival with buckets and spades ready to dig), Mouse (my sister) and James’s Mum helped to fill and plant the tyres I had started to paint and arrange!

Hurrah Thank you all!!!!!

Its looking good!!! Now I need to finish planting the rest so they dont all get used as cat lit trays by the neighbours cats!!

Gardening!

A while ago we built the first bed in the garden for flowers!

James’s Mum has helped out immensely and has given us a variety of plants and planted them up for us!

IMG_3054 IMG_3060

Thank you Julia it looks fantastic!!

Now i just need to get my rambling roses to cover the wall with blooms!!!

Building a flower bed!!

Sunday morning we started with this……

   
   

And a gate stuck in the bank dropping down to the winter stream….

With some hard work hefting old electric poles from the hedge, moving and digging rocks and carting compost we have a flower bed, the starts of a rockery, and the beginnings of what will be the garden!

   
     

Next steps, sort out the gate and pen issues, cut down the blackthorns that have escaped the hedgerow, finish the rockery, create a sort of sunken boggy garden around the winter stream, plant plant and plant, think of some fencing options for the top of the rockery create more beds, seating area for the benches…… So many things!!!