A first try!!

So a different sort of weaving has been happening here…..

A hazel hurdle is in the making!!!

We have decided to have a go to make some prettier panels to make the gaps into what was the old slurry pit and will be our fruit and vegetable garden, safe!! Hopefully child safe!!!!

James and I selected an old beam which was big and heavy enough to form the jig…..

Then whittled the ends of some larger hazel rods to make the uprights….. lots of our hazel is very overgrown so we are working with some very bobbly bits of wood, but using what we have!!

This took ages to sort…. the beam was OLD and rather solid to drill the holes into!! And some of the uprights, in order to get the straighter bits were a tad large in diameter!!

I’ve even found a use for the ash mallet I made on my forest school leader course!!! Fantastic for bashing down the hazel whips!!!

We are at the stage of weaving in the thinner whippier bits of hazel now and over half way up the panel!!

And I’m surprised how pleased I am with it!!! We both predicted this first go would be a disaster but no….. totally a usable panel!!!

Collecting, processing and stacking

A big part of our new lives here this time of year is collecting processing and stacking wood for our Esse and logburner. The Esse allows us to cook, heat water and heat our home and the log burner tops us up on chilly nights and even sometimes allows us to cook tea on it (like baked spuds or a simple something in a saucepan) 

Luckily here on the smallholding we have 9 acres of woodland and lots of very overgrown hedges round the rougher pastures…. So this time of year if the weather is good we have to get out wood collecting every chance we get!! 

Yesterday we spent two hours out cutting and collecting wood!! And luckily a friend called past with his tractor to cut our hedgerows in the fields which entertained the small man for ages and allowed us a wee bit more time!! He adores vehicles!! 


Today however the weather has turned miserable so in between small bean wrangling and going to our nursury Ti a Fi session we have been processing and stacking what we brought up!!


Phew!! A few more days of wood burning NEXT year!! 

Fencing….. Fencing and more Fencing!!!

Last week our fencing started in a big way!!! We have been fortunate to get into Glastir which is government woodland and land management scheme, which allows us to manage the land in a way that is more geared to the local wildlife and promoting that!! 

Last Monday our top field looked like this….

 

We already have lots of woodland…..


…..and in addition to the new woodland planting we did at the start of this year covering a probably just over an acre…..


…we now have new fencing ready for new hedgerows…..


new gates….. 


Well gates of out yard piles and into fields where they need to be!! We are awaiting the arrival of three new hardwood timber gates!

So next job hedge planting and a few more gates then the paperwork!!!!

Episode three is up!

Episode three is up on YouTube

Show notes….

Knitting:

Finished the Daydreamer and the Deco mat, owl puff and owl hat…. started the socks…. Nearly a HO!

Sewing:

Curtains curtains and more curtains

PJS done, baby’s tshirt done

Cutting out….

Acquisitions: only the curtain poles!!

Shop update: vintage snug hat

Farm update: hedging, fencing, diggers, tractors, pit of doom, tree planting, chain sawing….

September in the woods!

James and I took another walk through the woods to see what we could do over the winter…. The dog came off the worst full of seeds and sticky buds!!

   
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
    
   

Shave horse!

    

Last weekend my Dad brought down a shave horse he built me! 

This weekend James and I spent some time making stakes to stabilise woodland steps!!! I think we ended up with about 32, at four per step….. Mmmmm….. 8 steps….. Few more to make me thinks!!!