So a different sort of weaving has been happening here…..
A hazel hurdle is in the making!!!
We have decided to have a go to make some prettier panels to make the gaps into what was the old slurry pit and will be our fruit and vegetable garden, safe!! Hopefully child safe!!!!
James and I selected an old beam which was big and heavy enough to form the jig…..
Then whittled the ends of some larger hazel rods to make the uprights….. lots of our hazel is very overgrown so we are working with some very bobbly bits of wood, but using what we have!!
This took ages to sort…. the beam was OLD and rather solid to drill the holes into!! And some of the uprights, in order to get the straighter bits were a tad large in diameter!!
I’ve even found a use for the ash mallet I made on my forest school leader course!!! Fantastic for bashing down the hazel whips!!!
We are at the stage of weaving in the thinner whippier bits of hazel now and over half way up the panel!!
And I’m surprised how pleased I am with it!!! We both predicted this first go would be a disaster but no….. totally a usable panel!!!
So I have been knitting on Some Christmas socks and the wool is working out ok!
Then I’ve finished a project from the WIP wall of shame!!!! Yay!!!
Meet the leaf babies!!
So more about them later this week!!
Then I’ve been out in the workshop working on some wood crafts and pyrography….
Then for little Sirs Forest school group I’ve been asked to knit some elf clothes so the children can make some little elves!!
I finished proto elf last evening!! Along with a few other projects to be revealed later this week!!
So stay tuned this week for lots of shop updates and FO posts!!!
A big part of our new lives here this time of year is collecting processing and stacking wood for our Esse and logburner. The Esse allows us to cook, heat water and heat our home and the log burner tops us up on chilly nights and even sometimes allows us to cook tea on it (like baked spuds or a simple something in a saucepan)
Luckily here on the smallholding we have 9 acres of woodland and lots of very overgrown hedges round the rougher pastures…. So this time of year if the weather is good we have to get out wood collecting every chance we get!!
Yesterday we spent two hours out cutting and collecting wood!! And luckily a friend called past with his tractor to cut our hedgerows in the fields which entertained the small man for ages and allowed us a wee bit more time!! He adores vehicles!!
Today however the weather has turned miserable so in between small bean wrangling and going to our nursury Ti a Fi session we have been processing and stacking what we brought up!!
Phew!! A few more days of wood burning NEXT year!!
Busy times again here as always it seems but now the workshop is nigh on finished and now functional!!!!!
So I decided to crack on with a few jobs I’ve been planning for a while…..
Firstly, I made something to occupy the small human whilst we are in the work shop and to stop him porcupining all the available holes in workbenches etc with screws!!!
A work bench!!
Then I decided it would be a good idea our home had a name sign!!!
So I cleaned up a lovely chunk of hard wood, which incidentally used to be part of the old barn roof itself….
I marked out the lettering with a pencil and a stencil I printed off from the computer and cut out using a craft knife…. Then using my pyrography tool I burnt the name into the wood…. Currently I’m on the second coat of varnish of about seven!!!
So whilst I’m varnishing I’ve started another project for the boys!!! (As will be come March, bump two is a little boy!!) I am turning a dolls house Dad made and I roofed and painted…..
I used in my classroom for a few years as both a teaching resource and as a choice time activity/play resource…..
Now it starts its journey to being a barn for the boys to keep their toy tractors and farm animals in!!
Lots of craftiness, though not of my usual ilk!!!
Recently we have been working hard on getting the area in the first barn behind the house turned into a workshop for all the tools and for doing some of the jobs we need to get done around the place….. including me making a heap of toys for Sir and for future Forest School plans (follow me over on Pinterest to see my collection of ideas I have for these things!!)
Sooo….. we started with…..
Well in reality there was a horse box and a tonne of junk and wood in there to really start with!!
Then building work started….
Then some more……
and some electricals….
and a roof…..
a lot of tanking slurry…..
and a bit of patio to sort the awful back door entrance out….
some welding and gate building….
The last two days I have been painting it with some cheap white paint so it doesn’t look so much of a cave….
Today Himself is cementing the floor in places to level it for racking….
So nearly ready for its final reveal!!!
In our quest to not waste anything at the farm James has bought a brick maker…
Last time we were at the farm James spent some time making some newspaper and sawdust bricks….