I have decided to share a few of the recipes I have collected, tweaked maybe perfected for our tastes here on the holding preserving our harvests and allowing us delicious treats through the year, whether they be canned, jarred or frozen!
I am going to start with Beetroot and Horseradish chutney as a request from a friend who came recently to camp out in our fields as a quiet alternative to a camp site. (and yes we are thinking of using our 28 days allowances now each year for weekends of campers!)
Beetroot and Horseradish chutney
You will need:
- 750g of raw beetroot, trimmed peeled and finely diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 dessert apple, diced
- 2 tbsp of freshly grated horseradish (top tip if you freeze it before grating it wont sting your eyes, plus you can grate a heap and freeze it for future use)
- 200g sugar
- 300ml of white wine vinegar
- 2tsp salt
- Put all the ingredients into the pan ( I use a large heavy based pan or Maslin pan)
- Bring the pan slowly to the boil stirring until the sugar dissolves
- Cook gently then for 1-1.5 hours stirring occasionally
- Once the chutney is done, you will know by performing the channel test (use a spoon, drag it along the bottom of the pan to create a channel and if no liquid refills it fast then you are good to go)
- Jar up into hot sterilised jars, put on lids and allow to sit in a dark cupboard for 2 months before using.
I hope you will enjoy joining me on this culinary journey and would love it if you shared your efforts over on the Facebook page in the comments or over on Instagram!